Wednesday 1 June 2016

Interview With the Owner of the "Unverpackt"-Store in Kiel (in English)

Dear readers,

as mentioned in one of our earlier posts we conducted an interview with the owner of the "Unverpackt"-Store in Kiel. Today you can read this interview in English as well as in German (click here).

What’s your name?
Marie Delaperriére (de-la-per-yeah)

How did you come up with the idea to open a plastic-free grocery store?
It is not about having a plastic free store, but rather having a package-free, or one-way-package-free grocery store. Our dispensers are made of plastic, because we couldn’t find another solution. I came up with the idea when I thought of the crazy amount of trash that’s left after shopping – which has annoyed me a lot. In addition to that I came across an article by Bea Johnson, a woman from the US who lives without producing waste for years. I’ve read it and mimicked what she made. After some research I found out she had a store whose goods don’t have a one-way-packing and I wanted to have something like that, too. Then I researched a lot on the web – where are these stores, what can we actually provide for goods?

Marie Delaperriére


Have you engaged yourself with this problem on a personal level, or is your interest relating to business?
Yes, as a private person I was concerned with the whole lot of waste that is produced by the packing of goods you shop in groceries. As I have read an article about Bea Johnson, I have looked for myself how she did it. As a result, I came across food dispensers which you can operate yourself, plus you save on unnecessary packing. That’s when I thought: “Well, that’s great. I want to do that as well!” I have dealt with it intensively and even quit my Job. Since then, I only concentrate on the shop.

What job did you have before?
I worked as a project manager for a big logistics corporation.

Then it means that you are rather experienced in launching projects.
Yes, indeed. But this time, the project is mine. (laughter)

Bea Johnson was often referred to.
Exactly. She has brought the Zero-Waste movement into being. She has written a book and is keeping a blog where she writes about it on how you can live with less waste.

How did you come across Bea Johnson?
I have stumbled across her name in a French online paper that I read. She is a French woman living in the US and that’s why the French press covers her frequently. Since 2006 or 2008 she is living completely without waste.

Zero-Waste initiator: Bea Johnson


Since when do you live in Germany?
I live in Germany since 2003 and in Kiel since 2009.

And since when do you live package-free?
Since I’ve opened the store, that’s roughly two and a half years. Package-free – yes; but not entirely waste-free. But we are on the right track.

You differentiate between plastic free, waste-free and package-free.
Yes it’s all about not producing waste. There are different concepts, like plastic-free lifestyles, or in combination with package-free ones – both can be still seen distinctly. For one you can say that everything must be plastic-free, or just one-way-package-free, or waste-free. Waste-free is not the same as plastic-free.

Does waste-free mean recycling to you? As in reusing, or composting?
Exactly. Plastic-free is a lifestyle choice, where you reject all plastic products in your house. That’s tough enough already. It’s very hard, but there are loads of blogs and books on plastic-free living. We are primarily concerned with having an actual waste-free lifestyle.

Do you get your deliveries package-free?
No, that’s not working. But, I get 25kg bags full of grains for example, or products like spices in kilo packages which already are huge amounts.

Are these packages made of plastic?
Very few. Though we still have a few plastic packages, depending on the article, the requirements for transport, or food regulations etc.

Talking about your assortment – do you miss any products?
Actually, I do miss fresh meat and fresh fish in this shop. But that’s it. I still can go to the butcher or a fish shop.

There are certain foods that seem to be always packaged in plastic. Do you have curd?
Yes, we’ve got some in jars. You find them rarely. We have a local supplier of milk products who sells his products in jars or bottles. Sometimes they even come in paperboard – but they are coated.

How is business?
It’s going nicely, people like it. This is the third year already and we constantly get more customers. Such a store needs a certain amount of time to start running, but now, in the third year – which is a vital point for start-ups – I’d say that we have become established.

Marie Delaperriére in her "Unverpackt"-Store in Kiel


What kind of customers you get, and how many are coming?
Averagely, 70-90 customers come per day. The customers are mixed: there is no particular group of people. Everything from families to students, children to seniors, barefoot walking individuals to suits. We are not addressing a particular clientele, it’s an every man’s shop.

Do you have a sense of achievement?
Above all, I am happy that this idea/concept is spreading. The store in Kiel is the first of its kind in Germany. By now there are more than 20 of these stores that are about to open. Also, the whole movement is becoming more confident and all that information and awareness that’s spreading on sustainable lifestyles and consumption – all of that gave a push to this movement.

We have read that you will hold a seminar for people who want to open such shops themselves. How many will attend?
Last year I’ve started these workshops and we roughly had 100 participants of which 10 opened a store.

Does that mean you show them how to operate such a store?
Exactly. We examine everything from the idea to business matters. I show it in form of workshops here in this store, or I just consult them.

Something you want to say to those who don’t have any access to these kind of grocery shops?
Even without package-free stores it’s possible to reduce waste. You simply change your consumer behaviour and what you do in the kitchen. If you do it step-by-step, it’s easy. Back then I was getting angry about me always buying grated cheese in plastic bags, because I thought: That’s insane! Simply buy non-sliced cheese, take a grater, grate it whenever necessary, plus it’s always fresh. It’s a simple thought, plain common sense. But for years I used to buy grated cheese in plastic bags reflexively. You just have to take a look around: Instead of paper rolls, you just need cloth – so you won’t have waste.  With these as examples, peu-á-peu you are getting started to get through life with less waste.

Thank you!


This interview was conducted in German on 17th May, 2016 in Kiel, Germany by Sophie Weise and Temur Mehr.

No comments:

Post a Comment